PS. Well, our fund raising event has been and gone. I'm pleased to say that this necklace has been sold at live auction, and raised a good sum for the hospital. And all along I was so nervous no one would bid on it! The event was a success, and I must thank my jewellery buddies from the Australian Beading Forum and the Parramatta-Holroyd Lapidary Club for their contribution, hard work and support. :)
Friday, March 25, 2011
This is another pendant necklace I just finished a few days ago for our upcoming fund raising event at work. We're holding an Art and Artisan Jewellery Exhibition and Show next weekend, the proceeds of which will go towards purchasing of medical laboratory equipment for the Department of Anatomical Pathology at the hospital, where I work. Anyhow, I was given this Australian opal cabochon by one of the show organisers (the stone was donated by an ex-patient) and was asked to "make it into something". I wrapped it with sterling silver wire, added a patina with liver of sulphur, polished it up, and teamed it with fresh water pearls, Swarovski crystals, and amethyst and labradorite beads. The piece will be donated as an item for live auction at the opening cocktail party on Friday evening. I'm a little nervous and worried that no one will bid for it. Anyhow, all I can do is to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, I guess. Please click on the photos if you'd like a larger view.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Here are two leopard theme pendants, one I just finished, and the other I made a while ago. I started the steampunk one a few weeks ago for one of the YOJ challenges on the Australian Beading Forum, but didn't have time to finish it until now. The head and paws were made with white polymer clay which I painted, and the rest was assembled with bits and pieces and seed beads. I used some Twinkling H2O watercolours, hence the body parts are somewhat pearlescent and shimmering in real life. The cub one is an enamel pendant I did quite a while back, using various techniques including cloisonne and overglaze painting enamels. It took many firings to achieve the result I wanted. I thought it's cute to show them together. Please click on the photos if you'd like a larger view.
PS. I have entered these pieces into Sandy's Challenge #3. You can check out her blog Sandy's Space at http://angsandy.blogspot.com/